Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Got Gubb?

So, as I've discussed many times, I'm obsessed with making lists. To-do lists, grocery lists, cleaning lists, work lists, people to call, friends to email, relatives to write, cards to make, presents to buy, recipes to try... I cannot stop making lists. And if I don't write the item down on a list, it doesn't get done. Take my driver's license and health card renewals for example. I got the notices months ago, but I didn't write them on a list. Instead, I stuck the notices in a drawer and forgot about them, until yesterday, when a girl at work was telling me about how she had to replace all the cards in her wallet for a second time in like, two weeks, because someone had stolen her wallet for the second time. Which is just crazy and awful. So anyway, I went home, found my renewal notices and started a To-Do list. Now, they'll get done this week because I love the feeling of striking items off a list.

So when I heard about Gubb I couldn't wait to check it out. It's a FREE list-making website. You log in, choose your list topic and then add all the items to it. You can change the background colour, and add details, and can even make shared lists with friends or email the lists to yourself. I love it, except, I don't get it. I mean, if you're going to email the list to yourself, why wouldn't you just send yourself an email, instead of logging into Gubb, making the list, then emailing it? I guess if I actually used my cellphone for things other than taking pictures of my cat and making phone calls (how old school!) maybe I'd want to get the lists on my phone, but honestly, the point, to me, of making a list, is to grab a piece of paper, a pen and write it down. It's quick, it's easy, and there's this incredible sense of accomplishment and satisfaction when you ACTUALLY cross the item off the list. Plus, the list is super portable. Write it on a Post-it, stick it in your bag. Pull it out when you get to the grocery store, find the items. Put it in your pocket. Pull it out at home, stick it on the counter.

I get that after you create the list on Gubb, you could print the list out, and take it with you. But if you work in an office all day, it's not so discreet to have to print the list out on the communal printer, then rush over to pick it up before anyone else in the office sees that you need to pick up toilet paper or clean the litter box or buy new underwear. Plus, even though you can make the backgrounds on each list pretty colours, like pink or periwinkle, if your printer's black and white, it's just black letters on a grey list. And with purple Post-its, I just don't think I'm going to get stuck on Gubb. You know, unless they have little people inside the website who actually COMPLETE the tasks on your list for you, then send you an email to let you know.

We'll see.

No comments: