Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Friday, July 25, 2008
Stolen from the blogs of authors E. Lockhart and John Green...
37 Odd Things About Me
1. Do you like blue cheese?
Like it? I LOVE it. Any type of blue: Benedictine, Gorgonzola, Cambozola...
2. Have you ever smoked?
I tried - once - in grade nine because I thought it would make me cool. I hated it. The cigarette hated me too. I decided being uncool was cool, and smelled better.
3. Do you own a gun?
I thought this said "gum". I was like "Who doesn't own gum?" Then I realized it said "gun". Clearly an American initiated this meme. I don't own a killing gun, but I DO own a Glue Gun!
4. What flavor Kool Aid was your favorite?
I'm more of a Crystal Light kind of girl. It's tangier.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments?
Not really. My doctor is funny.
6. What do you think of hot dogs?
I like them. But I can't eat the ones on the street. I don't like to eat anything standing on a sidewalk with car fumes blowing in my face.
7. Favorite Christmas movie?
A tie: Miracle on 34th Street (the remake - I'm a sucker for colour) and A Christmas Story (little known fact: the school is in my hometown).
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning?
Timothy's Skim Chai Latte.
9. Can you do push ups?
Yes. About twelve in a row.
10. What's your favorite piece of jewelry?
My engagement ring.
11. Favorite hobby?
Writing, reading. But not arithmetic.
12. Do you have A.D.D.?
Mild, I think. Or, it's just my excuse when I can't focus on one project at a time.
13. Do you wear glasses/contacts?
Yes, both. Not at the same time.
14. Middle name?
Chantel. I'm tricky that way.
15. Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment?
I want to go outside and suntan, I am thirsty, I wish Ellen had better guests on today.
16. Name 3 drinks you regularly drink?
Water, Diet Coke, water.
17. Current worry?
I think I have a collapsed lung. Or hypochondria.
18. Current hate right now?
Hate be gone! I'm trying to remove it from my life. It's a waste of time.
19. Favorite place to be?
20. How did you bring in the new year?
I didn't bring it in. I left the cold outside.
21. Where would you like to go?
22. Name three people who will complete this?
Why do memes always assume the answerers are psychic?
23. Do you own slippers?
Of course! They're my favourite footwear.
24. What shirt are you wearing?
Black tank, fuchsia (did I spell that correctly?) sweater.
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets?
I don't think so. I'm not a porn star.
26. Can you whistle?
Yes, but only one note.
27. Favorite color?
28. Would you be a pirate?
No... I get seasick. I also like showers and shorts, and pirates seem dirty and overdressed all the time.
29. What songs do you sing in the shower?
I'll tell you tomorrow morning.
30. Favorite Girl's Name?
Mara. That's why she's my number one heroine.
31. Favorite boy's name?
Molson. I totally just made that up.
32. What's in your pocket right now?
Nothing. My pockets are sewn shut.
33. Last thing that made you laugh?
The cherries that are spread out around my living room because a certain four-legged friend thinks it's fun to bat them out of the bowl on the counter and play with them while I'm out.
34. What vehicle do you drive?
A black one.
35. Worst injury you've ever had?
I broke my arm when I was a baby. I don't remember it.
36. Do you love where you live?
37. How many TVs do you have in your house?
One. But it's unfortunately the size of four normal TVs, but only displays one show at a time.
Did you KNOW how much celebrity dirt you DON'T know when you DON'T read Entertainment Weekly every week? I'll tell you five things I learned today.
- Madonna has a brother. He wrote a book.
- Nicole Richie will guest star in an episode of Chuck.
- The OC's Taylor Townsend (aka Autumn Reeser) will be in the season premiere of Pushing Daisies.
- Before Katy Perry "kissed a girl" her name was Katy Hudson, but she changed it so we wouldn't confuse her and Kate Hudson.
- The Peach Pit is being reno'ed for the return of 90210.
Labels: TV talk
Tuesday, July 22, 2008
But I have been working on other things. Such as:
a) My tan. Shame! I know. Haven't I heard of skin cancer? But I have an excuse: Two of my childhood girlfriends and I met for a reunion this weekend and headed to Hockley Valley. Swimming, suntanning, spa-ing and catching up on gossip. This is the perfect getaway if you live in Toronto and want a quiet retreat from the city in just 45 minutes. It's not on a lake, but the outdoor pool was just as cold (but clean!), so really, it's the ideal compromise for cottage country near the city.
b) Writing about the new fall TV lineup for Tribute magazine. Now, I know I'm supposed to be writing fairly about ALL the shows on TV this fall (new, returning, favourites...), but I just have to say HOW CAN I TALK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE BESIDES 90210??? Especially, when the latest confirmed cast member is Shannen Doherty, as the high-school musical director! I'm trying, but it's difficult.
c) Golfing. If you are a girl and you like to golf (even if you are sucky at it), you should enter charity golf tournaments. For one thing, it's a great way to meet boys, since it's often mostly guys doing it. And, they always have prizes, but since there are few girls, you're almost guaranteed to win in one of the categories (if not for skill, for cutest outfit).
Friday, July 11, 2008
1. I got up early this morning to come to work because we're on deadline, only to forget my umbrella and get caught in the rain halfway to work. With a white shirt on. Nice! Then, I arrived to find that the elevators hadn't been working for the past two hours. And the maintenance guys weren't sure how to make them work. Interesting. Finally, when the manager of the million telemarketers in our building looking like he was going to pop a vein in his forehead, they opened the doors to the stairs so that the telemarketers in the building could get to work. They work on the 2nd floor. I work on the 19th. I decided to just go for it. Thank goodness I left the stripper heels at home and wore flip-flops to work. Of course, the elevators still aren't working and I'm sitting in the office alone. I'm worried about what will happen if they don't get the elevators working at all today. What will I eat for lunch?
Friday, July 4, 2008
I took a walk to Golf Town this afternoon, to pick up more pink balls. As I was roaming the store, I heard a man asking for something he'd put on hold, at the cash desk. The sales clerk, said, "No problem, George. The last name's Fowler, right?"
I turned to look. George Fowler. I knew that name. That's right, he's Lila's dad, I thought. Then I tried to recall how I knew Lila. Did I go to school with her, or was it my sister? But as George walked by I realized I didn't recognize him. Perhaps I've never met him, I thought. Should I stop him and say hi? As I debated this, it suddenly dawned on me. I don't know George Fowler at all. I don't even know Lila Fowler. That's because she was never my friend. She was Jessica Wakefield's best friend. In the Sweet Valley High books.
This isn't the first time that I have confused fiction with real life. Last weekend I was back at the homestead for my father's "60 is the new 50" birthday party. I'd gone over to say hi to our neighbours, and when I came back I mentioned to my dad that Mrs. Neighbour's sister was visiting from Vancouver.
"How long has she lived in Vancouver?" I asked.
"I think she's always lived there," my dad said.
"Not always," I corrected him. "Remember, she was in the Halifax Symphony, so she must've lived out east. Otherwise that was one heck of a commute."
My dad looked at me, a little like he might be losing his mind, but more like I was losing mine. "She's a stock broker. I don't think she's ever been in the symphony."
"A stock broker?" I shook my head. "No, she was DEFINITELY in the Halifax Symphony."
My dad's look now confirmed that he thought it was definitely me that was crazy.
And then I realized that I was actually confusing my neighbour's sister with Dave's sister. Dave, being the main character in Stuart McLean's Vinyl Cafe series. Hmm...
Tuesday, July 1, 2008
Because, I got The FURminator.
When my sister first told me about it, I thought Ho-Hum, Another Cat Brush. But then I saw the Pictures.
And I was amazed, but also sort of grossed out.
But then I started asking people about it and everyone swore it was the best thing since furless cats.
And so, we went to PetSmart. Where the PetSmart lady told us The FURminator cost $42.99. For the smallest brush.
What? I don't own a brush that costs $42.99. Surely Mr. Baz does not need a brush that costs that much. But I asked him. He said he REALLY wanted it. And it was KITTY DAY, after all. How could I deny him a KITTY gift on KITTY DAY?
And then, I watched the Video in the store, which is clearly playing just to suck all pet owners in. Except maybe Turtle Owners ...
The FURminator vs. Mr. Baz.
You think you're the FURminator? You will not take MY fur. Oh no, you won't. I will TERminate you, FURminator.
The FURminator managed to get a bagful of fur. Mr. Baz, however, managed to get some mean teeth marks into the FURminator.
Then I sat down to watch this trailer, for Kitty Kitty, the new book by Michele Jaffe, which came out yesterday. Awesome.
How did you spend your Canada Day?