Friday, July 11, 2008

Four Things on a Friday

1. I got up early this morning to come to work because we're on deadline, only to forget my umbrella and get caught in the rain halfway to work. With a white shirt on. Nice! Then, I arrived to find that the elevators hadn't been working for the past two hours. And the maintenance guys weren't sure how to make them work. Interesting. Finally, when the manager of the million telemarketers in our building looking like he was going to pop a vein in his forehead, they opened the doors to the stairs so that the telemarketers in the building could get to work. They work on the 2nd floor. I work on the 19th. I decided to just go for it. Thank goodness I left the stripper heels at home and wore flip-flops to work. Of course, the elevators still aren't working and I'm sitting in the office alone. I'm worried about what will happen if they don't get the elevators working at all today. What will I eat for lunch?


2. Someone sent me a press release about how no one's wearing sunscreen anymore, and they're tanning like there's no tomorrow. I guess sun damage was just a fad. Like leg warmers. Remember acid rain? No one talks about that anymore, either. Next up: this whole "green" issue. 

3. On the Today Show, there was an expert talking about video games and how they're not just for kids anymore, but that adults are playing them too (ohhh...so that's what the PS3 is doing in my living room. I was worried I'd popped out an eight-year-old when I wasn't looking and had misplaced him). His point was that the violent games are really for "dads", but that there are even games for moms now, too. "Like the Wii Fit, so that women can lose weight." 

What? So guys can sit around eating Doritos and virtually picking up strippers on Grand Theft Auto but women have to do the Step Class because we're all fat? 

4. I'm in All David Sedaris All The Time mode right now. I only recently discovered him after one of my friends raved how funny his is, and now I'm addicted.  I'm halfway through his latest, When You Are Engulfed in Flames, which I read when I'm sitting. When I'm walking, I listen to Me Talk Pretty One Day on my iPod. He was at Indigo last night but I couldn't go because I had my golf date with my instructor (and my husband, of course. Tres legit, don't worry.) But, tonight he's at McNally Books. I cannot wait. In the meantime, here he is on Letterman. Enjoy!


4 comments:

Alicia said...

He was marvelous last night at Indigo! He actually gave my friend, Alison, a bracelet because she entertained him with a funny anecdote about raccoons. Also exciting was the fact that I saw Aunt Hetty from Road to Avonlea as I was walking into the store. A great day, all around!

And by the way, I have now seen Stuck in Downward Dog prominently on display at TWO Chapters locations in the city! One on a table of books by female authors at Bay/Bloor, and one for Canadian authors at Yorkdale... I was very excited for you :)

scarbie doll said...

Yo! Also a Sedaris fan.

So are all white people apparently.

http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/2008/01/26/25-david-sedaris/

scarbie doll said...

Sorry here's the proper link

Stuff White People Like # 25

RoxyKitty said...

I was going through your page and really enjoyed it. I thought that you might be a great candidate for a program i'm working on

I'm contacting you because I work for a word of mouth marketing company based in Toronto. For the program that I am currently working on I'm looking for women that are influential and have blogs like yourself with hopes that you'd be willing to participate in a short survey about our beauty/hygiene products. If you qualify you would be sent some free products for you to try out and review.

The survey doesn't take much of your time and id love to get a chance to connect with you and get your valuable feedback!

Please feel free to email me back at cynthia@matchstick.ca and you can let me know if your interested and how best to further contact you.

Thanks in advance,

Cynthia
Matchstick