Friday, April 27, 2007

Book #7: Beauty Shop For Rent



A while back, Laura Bowers, who updates a great blog near daily, posted a contest to win an advance copy of her debut teen novel, Beauty Shop For Rent, and me and my bleached blonde roots won! Hurrah! I got the book, and read it in one sitting. It was that good. It's been called a Steel Magnolias for teens, and that's an alarmingly accurate description. And seriously, did anyone NOT love Steel Magnolias? You know that feeling it gave you the first time -- or the eighth time -- you watched it? That's what Beauty Shop for Rent is like. The entire time I was reading it, I could totally picture the characters, and kept thinking how it almost reads like a script, like it really SHOULD be a movie. I'm not going to say anything more about the book right now, because on Monday, Laura's dropping by to answer all my questions about the book as part of her North American media tour. Diane Sawyer, look out! I'm putting my hard-hitting journalism school skills to use.

The book officially hits stores May 1st, but Amazon already has it in stock, so you should totally buy it. Now.

Then, come back here on Monday to meet Laura in person. Well, sort of. See you then!

No comments: