Friday, September 14, 2007

I heart NY

I've just gotten home from my whirlwind trip to New York. I've always loved New York, but this, although one of my quickest trips into the city ever, was one of the best and most memorable, of course, because I was given one of the best book launch parties ever! Anna, my new BFF at the Canadian Consulate, was the uber-cute, super fun wonder woman behind the event and it couldn't have been more perfect. There are a million chicklit books out there, but Anna read mine, and thought it was something worthy of an event in NY, and so, in her contagiously energetic way, went about seeing that it happened!



Here's me and Anna...

And I just loved all the Lulu girls at Lululemon's flagship store, where the event was held. The girls at the store were so welcoming and fun, and they made these signs...




And Anna sent out hundreds of invites, including one to Katie Couric, who couldn't come, but I'm sure it's because she was actually AT yoga class.

Also, there was a cocktail reception, too (because what kind of yoga girl doesn't like a little wine with her workout?) which included wine, cheese and grapes. Only my three favourite foods. Could it have been any more perfect?

I met so many fabulous New Yorkers and New Jerseyites, who came out to support the book, me and Lululemon. The best part? Many of these guys and girls are just like me -- love yoga, love the clothes, not SO good at the actual yoga part.

Also, I loved that so many women wanted to talk about their own stuck-edness, particularly in relationships. It's really hard to talk about not being happy in a relationship, or not knowing how to move on after a string of bad, ego-smushing boyfriends, but these women were so open and honest, and I just loved that! Not only could I relate on behalf of Mara, but of course, I've had my share of crapola relationships, so it was the best girl-bonding session ever!

My publisher and a few others from my Canadian publishing house also came to the event, which was just SO supportive. I don't know many Canadian first-time authors who get a New York launch party, so I'm just so, so happy. As soon as I get more pictures from Lululemon and the Consulate, I'll post them here.

Thanks also to Denise, yogi and author of it's all about yoga for mentiong my book and the event!


Nothing could really compare to the night, but I also managed to sneak in a few other things while in New York, all of which I highly recommend if you are going:

Cocktails: at the Mandarin Oriental. I'd been to the MO before, but never for cocktails, and it's the perfect setting. The lobby bar's on the 35th floor, overlooking Central Park. I had a peach cocktail, which I'm now, as I write this, recreating at home, because it's so simple, yet the perfect start-of-the-weekend drink: Vodka, peach puree and champagne, and three raspberries, just so that you can call it a meal.

Burgers: If you're looking for a good burger, there are a lot of new burger places that give you that perfect option between the foie gras burger at $40 and the McD's burger at $1.39. We opted for this tiny burger joint that inside Le Parker Meridien. There's not even a sign - you just have to go inside and then you'll see this tiny fluorescent picture of a burger with an arrow behind a curtain. You get back there and you're in this uber-cool burger joint with no frills (no plates or cutlery) but so-good burgers.

Afternoon tea: We went for afternoon tea at the Ritz, which is another of my favourite meals. Is there anything better than mini sandwiches, scones and cream, teeny tiny desserts and your own pot of tea? My favourite tea spot in NY is still the St. Regis because the scones are bigger and better (and when you're paying like $3 a raisin, you want a big ass scone, don't you?) but the Ritz came close, particularly for the full-size shrimp on the shrimp sandwich and the fact that they put your teapot on a tealight to keep it warm. Hmmm... it never really crossed my mind that this might be why it's called a tealight. Eat mini sammys, learn something new.

Finally, I have to tell you that I saw Georgia Ru on the plane. On the way down I saw the first half - Georgia - and on the way back I saw Ru. That's right - almost all of Georgia Rule, but not quite. I missed the last 10 minutes. Ten minutes! The worst part was that the pilot was like, "I have some bad news. There's a whole whack o' planes up here waiting to land in Toronto, so we're going to be in a holding pattern for about 25 minutes." And I was like "YES!" And then, not even two minutes later he came on and say, "Guess what?! All of the rest of the planes have decided to go elsewhere, so we're gonna land now!" Noooooo......

When I asked the Hubs what he watched (because we weren't next to eachother) he said "Silver Surfer." Duh. Then he said with a knowing smirk, "What'd you watch - Georgia Rule?" Like I'm THAT predictable. And then he said, "I can't believe you watched that without me - I wanted to rent that!" Riiiiiight. So now, of course, I'm betting I won't ever see the end of this movie.

If any of you HAVE seen the movie, can you please email me and tell me what happens in the last ten minutes? I need to know!

Okay, that's it. Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

Laural Dawn said...

I'm sooooo glad you had a good time. I love NY too - soooo much fun. And you did all the good stuff.
That's awesome.
As for yoga - I love it but kinda suck at it. My sister got a video and my nieces (2 and 5) have been doing it. You should see them. They just do it for fun - and they can do all the poses.