Tuesday, April 17, 2007

TV Talk

Last summer, the Hubs was watching TV when he caught the first episode of Everwood. It was re-airing on Vision TV, which, judging by the name I could only assume played Christian shows. Then I saw the ad for McLeod's Daughters, which is some sort of Australian soap that (and i can only say this judging from the ads) looks far worse than anything I've ever seen on Y&R. But apparently there are some good wholesome undertones. Just like Everwood. I got hooked. Every Saturday night, we'd sit down to watch a new episode. It became a ritual that I looked forward to every week and if I had plans Saturday night I would be so disappointed but so excited Sunday morning to get to wake up and watch the episode we'd missed. Then, a few months in, Vision TV started airing Everwood EVERY NIGHT. I know, it was out of control, and for the last six months or so every night when we got home from work, we'd make our dinner and sit down to watch the episode. It is now my favourite show. I want to say EVER but that's a huge statement. But it's very close. It's definitely on the Top 5 list, right up there with Entourage and the first season of The O.C and Dawson's Creek.

But on Thursday, we watched the last episode of Everwood. EVER.

Now for those of you who knew about Everwood the first time around, you'll understand, and if haven't seen it, you need to go to the video store NOW and rent Season 1. You won't regret it. Great characters, witty dialogue, honest, real storylines. Besides, watching episodes back to back on DVD is really the best way to do it, isn't it? They made just four seasons, which never seems like enough but when it ended it was the perfect ending. To drag it out for another season wouldn't have worked, given that all the characters had graduated from high school and had to go off to college. To continue the series would've turned into 90210, and really, weren't the best episodes when they were all still in high school, before they tried to make everyone conveniently go to the same college? I mean how great a school could "California University" really be?

So I was okay with Everwood ending. Until last night. Because I got home from work, made my dinner, and ....

Nothing. No Everwood. My beloved ritual is over. To make matters worse, we just got Season 3 of Entourage on DVD (which I've been waiting for, for like, ever, since we're behind here in Canada) and it's only the first 12 episodes of the season and we're already done watching them and the people at the video store have no idea when the next 12 episodes are going to be available. Even worse, I know that everyone in the US is already watching Season 4 on HBO.

I feel shaky.

I need a new show to watch. Any suggestions?

1 comment:

vickie said...

I think you need to find a show (on DVD) with multiple seasons, so you can eat your dinner in peace for many nights to come.

Given your love for Everwood, these might fulfill your TV-watching needs, thematically:

* Once and Again

* American Dreams

* I'll Fly Away (though I doubt these are available for rent)

If you're looking to switch gears, why not:

* Buffy the Vampire Slayer

* MI-5 (excellent!)

* The Facts of Life (which airs on CTS nightly at 7:30)

Good luck.