Thursday, June 21, 2007

The mysterious mystery of why I haven't seen the new Nancy Drew movie yet...

I love Nancy Drew. I blogged about my love for her. I collect the books. I couldn't contain my excitement when I heard about the movie. I counted down the days until it came out. And then....nothing.

Everyone keeps emailing me asking why I haven't blogged about the movie.

I haven't seen it.

But I have good reason. It was a crazy week.

First, I planted a white oleander on the balcony.


Pretty? Check.

Loves heat? Check.

Loves sun? Check.

Doesn't need a lot of watering? Check.


It seemed too good to be true. Like perhaps I wouldn't kill this tree with my lack of gardening skills.


It was too good to be true. I might not kill the tree, but that's because the tree was going to kill us all. I mean, how could I not remember that white oleander is lethal?


I read the book. I saw the movie. It was actually my love of both that convinced me to buy the oleander tree -- and to get white, instead of pink or lavender. But why did the garden experts, when recommending the tree for my black thumb, fail to tell me it was poisonous, or ask if I had pets?


So anyway, we'd had the tree for less than 24 hours when one of my friends made a joke about slipping the leaves into tea, which is when I went into full freak-out mode about Mr. Baz, who at that very moment could've been fixing himself an oleander salad while I was at work. First I Googled it to make sure it really WAS poisonous to pets. It was. I left work immediately and went to the vet. They looked at me like I was crazy.


Me: Is it really lethal?
Vet: It's really lethal.
Me: Like, Mr. Baz will DIE? If he eats one leaf?
Vet: He'll DIE if he LICKS one leaf and you don't get him here in time.

I raced home praying that Mr. Baz was smart enough to not eat the tree. Thankfully, he was sleeping under the bed. And breathing. Still, I felt like the worst "kimmy" (kitty mommy) ever.

So until I could get the oleander tree unplanted and back to the garden centre, Mr. Baz had to stay under house arrest, with me on 24 hour watch to make sure he didn't try to fling himself at the tree (a very real possibility given how he'd been stalking the leaves that were blowing in the wind before I knew the tree was a murderer).


By Saturday I got the tree back to the garden centre, where they didn't act at all concerned that my cat almost DIED, but they did give me my money back so that I could buy a non-poisonous Snowball tree instead.
Then, just as life was returning to normal, I threw my keys down the garbage chute. Who does this? Me. I blame it on my lack of both attention span and detail. I'm just so easily distracted. I don't mean to get myself into these situations, but as much as I try, I can't seem to help it. So then I, like Mr. Baz, had to spend the next two days under house arrest, until I could get all the keys - to our home, mailbox (because you never know who might try to steal your mail!), office and car changed. Now, we've got new shiny locks on everything, and I'm on 24 hour watch of my keys to make sure that they don't try to go flinging themselves down chutes, sewers, elevator shafts or off balconies.

I'm really hoping that this weekend will be un-eventful and that I can get down to more serious matters, like seeing the Nancy Drew movie.

Have you seen it yet? What did you think?

2 comments:

Uni Munirah said...

hello! nice blog!

come visit my blog at http://knowledgeispower88.blogspot.com

Laural Dawn said...

I soooo want to see Nancy Drew. But, I haven't had a chance, my husband doesn't want to see it, and my son would not sit still.
And, quite honestly my friends think I'm a little crazy for wanting to see it. (thank goodness for a sister who can be talked into such craziness!) I have heard it's really good though.
That sucks about the Oleander. I think that Poinsettias (the christmas flowers) are also lethal to cats. I think they are kind of ugly though, so it's a great excuse not to have them :)