Saturday, December 29, 2007

The Idiot Box is highly addictive

The Idiot Box, as my mother liked to call it, is a highly addictive piece of furniture, if you weren't aware. Before Christmas (I'm not sure if I mentioned) but I started watching Deadwood. I'm going to be totally honest here. I totally didn't want to watch this series. Oh, I know Molly Parker is in it, but I was pretty sure she was going to be the only girl, and given that it's set in yonder year in the wild west (or south, depending on your geography), I was certain there would be no makeup, pretty outfits, or even cute boys for her to look at, let alone kiss. I'm not saying that there must be makeup or outfits or boys and kissing in every show I watch, but well, one of the above would be helpful. As is showering, which I was sure they didn't do in Deadwood.

But, the Hubs wanted to give it a shot, and I figured I'd give it a try too since we weren't watching any shows together ever since the OC ended, we caught up in Entourage, finished Everwood and I stopped watching Heroes in Season 2 because I think it's boring.

But guess what? (I'm sure you can guess if you've watched this series), there IS a cute boy (hello Timothy Olyphant)...





(You are even more handsome when you shave. Too bad there are no electric razors in Deadwood).

There are also lots of pretty girls (well, mostly they're all hookers, but they have pretty dresses and wear makeup and everything!). Also, it's based on reality, which is cool, because that means I'm LEARNING something. Right? Well, sort of. Anyway, it's one of those shows I can't believe I didn't want to watch.

Anyway if you're rolling your eyes like I was, thinking "Ths sounds dumb dumb dumb, why is she writing about it? Why am I still reading this blog entry?" this will entice you. You know how in most shows they never kill off the main characters? Well, that's totally not what happens in Deadwood. Oh no, in Deadwood they kill off main characters in nearly every episode. Which, of course, is sad because then the characters you loved or loved to hate are gone, but good because you're always afraid someone's going to die. And who doesn't like to be afraid?! I, personally, love it. Rather than saying..."Yes, the crazy POLAR BEAR is attacking him and it looks like he can't get out of the tree trunk thingy, but he will, of course, because he's a main character. He CAN'T die."

Can you guess which OTHER series I am now now hooked on? And I said it wouldn't happen. Yes, LOST. I wasn't interested. Our neighbours kept trying to give us their Season 1 DVD but we kept saying no. Uh-uh. No way. Not interested. You can't make us watch it.

But the, before they left to go halfway across the world for Christmas, they made us take it. They said they wouldn't get on the plane if we didn't. So for the sake of their families eagerly awaiting their arrival (and the "Let's Hug it Out, Bitch" t-shirts they were bringing), we took the DVD.




After all, we didn't want to be ungrateful neighbours. But we weren't going to put it in the DVD player. Oh no we weren't.

And then, we got sick.

And lucky for LOST we couldn't make it to the video store to get Season 3 of Deadwood so we were forced to give it a shot. Because really, what else can you do when you're sick but lie on the couch?

And now, I'm hooked. We've watched 16 episodes in 3 days, and we would've watched more, if it were up to me, but the Hubs had to go to bed at like 6:30, so I had to find something else to do, which was probably a good thing since all that sitting on the couch is likely not good for my physical activity level, but it IS good for my attention span. I cannot think of ANYTHING else when I'm watching LOST. I LOVE it. The only part I don't love is as I explained above, they don't kill anyone real off (only characters you've never met before) so you're never really scared that someone might die. I think that's a flaw in the show.

Anyway, our neighbours swore we'd be hooked on Season 1 by the time they got back. I have a feeling if things don't change we could be finished all three seasons by the time they return. If only we weren't getting distracted by...

Guitar Hero 3!






When I bought it for the Hubs I thought maybe I'd play it a few times. After all, who can resist a little Pat Benetar? But the rest of the songs were so boy-ish. I mean, Alice Cooper? Social Distortion? Cream? Kiss? And who's ever heard of the band Mountain?

But then, I passed a few levels and got to play a Killers song!

And then the Stone Roses!

And Weezer!

And it seems, now, I'm a bit hooked. But the best part, really, is that the better you play, the more money you get paid, which you can spend in the store to buy CUTE outfits for your character! Without leaving the couch!

It's too bad that Guitar Hero 3 wasn't out yet when the plane crashed onto the island in Lost. Because with the wireless guitar, it totally would've kept Walt busy so that he wouldn't have to go and set fire to the raft so that now they can never get off the island. (Which, even if they build another raft I totally think whoever goes on it is going to die, because don't they know there are SHARKS out there in the ocean? And that Locke's compass is broken?). Sheesh.

Still, it would've made them happy. Just like it probably would've made everyone in Deadwood happy too, and get along and stop killing each other.

After all, who doesn't love a little School's Out?


Although I guess they would've needed a DVD player.

No comments: