Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Making money to read

In an effort to get kids to read, the mayor of Noblejas (which may be my new favourite word), Spain, is recommending to pay kids 1 euro for every hour they spend in the library.


 At first, I thought he was paying them 1 euro for every book they read, to which I didn't see what the big uproar was. I mean, if that were the case, and I were a kid in Noblejas, I'd have made 5 euro since the start of the year. Hardly a get-rich-quick scheme. 

But since it's 1 euro an hour, that's a different story. How many hours does it take to read a book? Five? Ten? I'm not sure. But here's the thing. You've got to be in the library. I wonder if there are couches in the library? Because I like to read on the couch. I've tried reading at a desk but it doesn't work for me. But if they put couches in the library, won't that just promote make-out sessions? Or do kids still prefer to do play tonsil hockey in the paleontology stacks? Or maybe that was just on Friends

In any case, at least we have a new word to say three times fast: Noblejas, Noblejas, Noblejas.

No comments: