Wednesday, August 20, 2008

RIP Old Sicky Laptop

My laptop has been on life support for a few weeks now, which is why blogging has been sporadic. It's been tough, not having a laptop, given that I've had a lot of writing to do lately, and even though it's called writing and not typing it turns out that editors, publishers, agents, and even other writers, all want the work I'm doing to be typed, not hand-written, but I didn't want to make my laptop feel bad.

Maybe he just needs a rest, I thought. So I left him for a few days.

Then, I tried to revive my laptop by fiddling with the cords and for a while, he'd work, his little green light glowing. But then, one day, he turned off and wouldn't turn back on again.

I had a funeral this morning for him. I played NKOTB's The Right Stuff.

He had the right stuff. For a long time. I typed Stuck in Downward Dog on that laptop, from the very start, way back in 2004, to the very finish, when I read the final typeset pages, in late 2006.

In the meantime, I've been using The Hubs' computer, which is shiny and new and feels sort of like playing inside a UFO. Not that I know what it's like being inside a UFO (although I have been watching Taken, the miniseries by Steven Spielberg that's on TV right now). Anyway, I'm not sure how long I can keep up using this computer, which means...

There may be a very pretty, shiny and pink laptop in my future. Maybe. Because I have to write, er, type, don't I? And what's the harm in doing all that typing on something pink?

There's no harm in that at all.

But for now, I'm still wearing black in mourning. RIP, old laptop.

No comments: