Friday, March 16, 2007

Book #5: As She Grows



A few weeks ago I met a girl who teaches at an all-girls school in Toronto. Only, the girls that go to this school aren't from super-rich families, and they don't go to Starbucks between classes. The girls live with their grandmothers, aunts or a friend's family. Some are pregnant, some have kids. Some have been abused, and others abuse themselves. I can't imagine how difficult it must be, both to be one of these girls, and to be a teacher in this school. Anyway, the girl introduced me to a book -- this book -- As She Grows, by Lesley Anne Cowan. The author, too, is a teacher at such a school, and a few years ago she wrote a novel. It's amazing. I couldn't put it down it was so good. Because she actually spends every day, it feels like she captures exactly how these girls speak, dress, act, even feel. I wouldn't know, but the characters are truly believable. Plus, the book is set in Toronto, which I love, since it's interspersed with culture, history and real life. The only thing is -- *** SPOILER ALERT *** (can you have a spoiler alert with a book that came out several years ago? Anyway...) -- when I got to the last page, I turned it. Because I really didn't think that was it. But it was, because the Acknowledgements came next and there were no pages missing. Have you read this book? Did you feel the same way? And if you haven't read this book, run to the bookstore, library or your computer and get it.

No comments: